Want to try an escape room without all the stress? Use this subtraction math mystery, perfect for math enrichment! In this math challenge, students will practice 2 digit subtraction and 3 digit subtraction while engaged in solving a mystery!
This digital (Google Slides & Seesaw) & printable subtraction challenge is a hit! This is the perfect set of subtraction activities for 1st grade and 2nd grade students working on subtraction to 20, two-digit subtraction, and three-digit subtraction!
In this mystery, students will read a letter from Park Ranger Randy where he explains that he hid the supplies for making s’mores, and the campers need help finding them! They will also receive the location pages about all six possible camp locations where the s’mores supplies could be hidden. Students will complete challenges and earn clues to solve the mystery!
Whether you’re teaching in the classroom or teaching virtually, I’ve got you covered! For teachers in the classroom, everything can be easily printed and assigned to students. I’ve included black & white ink friendly options, too. For teachers teaching virtually, this resource has also been converted to Google Slides and Seesaw, so you can assign everything remotely!
I suggest using this resource over the course of one week. This will give your students with Monday through Thursday to complete all four challenges (one per day), and then on Friday students can sift through the clues & suspect information to solve the mystery. If you have time or want to plan an extra engaging day, you could also make an entire morning and/or afternoon of the whole thing and do it all at once! *Please note that doing it the entire mystery in one day will take more than you probably have allotted during your math time!
- Teacher Directions: How to implement, set-up, and use both in the classroom or digitally
- Letter From Park Ranger Randy: Students will read a letter from Park Ranger Randy explaining how he hid the supplies and the campers need help finding them.
- Challenge Checklist: Students will use this page to track their progress on all 4 subtraction challenges
- The Locations: Students will receive location information pages of all six possible locations. As students earn clues, they will use the information about each location to help them solve the mystery.
- The Clues: After completing challenges, students will earn four clues to help them solve the mystery.
- 4 Subtraction Math Challenges: There are 3 levels (subtraction to 20, 2-digit, & 3-digit) for each challenge so you can differentiate as needed.
- Letter to the Campers: Students will use this page once they think they’ve solved the mystery
- FOUND! Are your students ready to see if they were right? Display this found page to find out where the s’mores supplies were hidden!
- Challenge Answer Keys
Find more math mysteries below!
- Back to School Math Mystery: The Case of the Mystery Teacher
- Addition Math Mystery: The Case of the Hungry Zoo Animal
- Multiplication Math Mystery: The Case of the Dog Show Mix Up
- End of Year Math Mystery: The Case of the End of the Year Party
- Place Value Math Mystery: The Case of the New Family Pet
- Addition Facts Math Mystery: The Case of the Food Truck Surprise
- Subtraction Facts Math Mystery: The Case of the Stolen Tennis Balls
- Time Math Mystery: The Case of the Confusing Vacation
- Counting Coins Math Mystery: The Case of Carl the Circus Clown
© Simply Creative Teaching