Want to try an escape room without all the stress? Use this place value math mystery, perfect for math enrichment! In this math challenge, students will practice 2 digit place value and 3 digit place value while engaged in solving a mystery!
This digital (Google Slides & Seesaw) & printable place value challenge is a hit! This is the perfect set of place value activities and practice for 1st grade & 2nd grade students!
In this mystery, students will read a letter from Tara, a girl whose family is getting a new pet. They will learn that Tara’s parents are going to the pet store to choose a new pet, but she doesn’t know what they’re going to pick! She heard them talking about which pet they might choose for the family, but she needs help! There are six possible pets that they could choose. Students will complete four place value challenges and earn clues to solve the mystery!
Whether you’re teaching in the classroom or teaching virtually, I’ve got you covered! For teachers in the classroom, everything can be easily printed and assigned to students. I’ve included black & white ink friendly options, too. For teachers teaching virtually, this resource has also been converted to Google Slides and Seesaw, so you can assign everything remotely!
I suggest using this resource over the course of one week. This will give your students with Monday through Thursday to complete all challenges (one to two per day), and then on Friday students can sift through the clues to solve the mystery. If you have time or want to plan an extra engaging day, you could also make an entire morning and/or afternoon of the whole thing and do it all at once! *Please note that doing the entire mystery in one day will take more than you probably have allotted during your math time!
- Teacher Directions: How to implement, set-up, and use both in the classroom or digitally
- Letter from Tara: Students will read a letter from Tara explaining how she needs help figuring out which pet her parents are going to choose for the family
- Challenge Checklist: Students will use this page to track their progress on all 4 place value math challenges
- The Pets: Students will receive a list of six possible pets and pros/cons about each one. As students earn clues, they will use them solve the mystery.
- The Clues: After completing challenges, students will earn four clues to help them solve the mystery.
- 4 Place Value Math Challenges: There are 3 levels for each challenge so you can differentiate as needed. Take a look below at the differentiated levels:
- focuses on teen numbers
- focuses on 2-digit numbers up to 100
- focuses on 3-digit numbers up to 1,000
- Letter to Tara: Students will use this page once they think they’ve solved the mystery
- Our New Pet! Are your students ready to see if they were right? Display this page to find out!
- Challenge Answer Keys
Find more math mysteries below!
- Back to School Math Mystery: The Case of the Mystery Teacher
- Addition Math Mystery: The Case of the Hungry Zoo Animal
- Subtraction Math Mystery: The Case of the Missing S’mores
- Multiplication Math Mystery: The Case of the Dog Show Mix Up
- End of Year Math Mystery: The Case of the End of the Year Party
- Addition Facts Math Mystery: The Case of the Food Truck Surprise
- Subtraction Facts Math Mystery: The Case of the Stolen Tennis Balls
- Time Math Mystery: The Case of the Confusing Vacation
- Counting Coins Math Mystery: The Case of Carl the Circus Clown
© Simply Creative Teaching