Want to try an escape room without all the stress? Use this introducing multiplication math mystery, perfect for math enrichment! In this math challenge, students will practice basic multiplication facts, repeated addition, and arrays while engaged in solving a mystery!
This digital (Google Slides & Seesaw) & printable multiplication challenge is a hit! This is the perfect set of basic multiplication activities and practice for 2nd grade & 3rd grade students!
In this mystery, students will read a letter from the Adams County Dog Show judges Ellen & Kent. They will learn that the judges accidentally mixed up the dog show score sheets, and now they don’t know which dog to crown the winner! They will also receive the information files about all six dogs. Students will complete challenges and earn clues to solve the mystery!
Whether you’re teaching in the classroom or teaching virtually, I’ve got you covered! For teachers in the classroom, everything can be easily printed and assigned to students. I’ve included black & white ink friendly options, too. For teachers teaching virtually, this resource has also been converted to Google Slides and Seesaw, so you can assign everything remotely!
I suggest using this resource over the course of one week. This will give your students with Monday through Thursday to complete all four challenges (one per day), and then on Friday students can sift through the clues & suspect information to solve the mystery. If you have time or want to plan an extra engaging day, you could also make an entire morning and/or afternoon of the whole thing and do it all at once! *Please note that doing it the entire mystery in one day will take more than you probably have allotted during your math time!
- Teacher Directions: How to implement, set-up, and use both in the classroom or digitally
- Letter from the Judges: Students will read a letter from the dog show judges explaining how they mixed up the score sheets and need help figuring out which dog should be crowned the winner.
- Challenge Checklist: Students will use this page to track their progress on all 4 multiplication challenges
- Meet the Dogs: Students will receive information files of all six dogs. As students earn clues, they will use the information about each dog to help them solve the mystery.
- The Clues: After completing challenges, students will earn four clues to help them solve the mystery.
- 4 Multiplication Math Challenges: There are 3 levels for each challenge so you can differentiate as needed. This resource only includes basic multiplication facts where students will use repeated addition and arrays.
- Letter to the Judges: Students will use this page once they think they’ve solved the mystery
- WINNER! Are your students ready to see if they were right? Display this winner page to find out which dog should be crowned the winner!
- Challenge Answer Keys
Find more math mysteries below!
- Back to School Math Mystery: The Case of the Mystery Teacher
- Addition Math Mystery: The Case of the Hungry Zoo Animal
- Subtraction Math Mystery: The Case of the Missing S’mores
- End of Year Math Mystery: The Case of the End of the Year Party
- Place Value Math Mystery: The Case of the New Family Pet
- Addition Facts Math Mystery: The Case of the Food Truck Surprise
- Subtraction Facts Math Mystery: The Case of the Stolen Tennis Balls
- Time Math Mystery: The Case of the Confusing Vacation
- Counting Coins Math Mystery: The Case of Carl the Circus Clown
© Simply Creative Teaching