Use these main idea and supporting details reading comprehension mystery bags, graphic organizers, and literacy centers to teach how to identify the main topic and retell key details of a text. Students will also learn how to identify the main topic of a multi-paragraph text and the focus of specific paragraphs within the text!
This resource comes in both print and digital (Google Slides & Seesaw) versions.
**SEESAW USERS: The Seesaw activities are already preloaded to the platform. You will simply click each activity to add them to your Seesaw library!
- Main topic anchor chart
- Main idea anchor chart
- Main idea OR main topic mystery bags activity: put clues into a TOP SECRET mystery bag or envelope, and students use the clues to figure out the main idea or main topic
- Sentence Strips: cut apart sentence strips and have students put them into a paragraph where the main idea is listed first… You can also make this into a race between groups or tables of students!
- Main Idea Puzzles – cut apart puzzles for students to put together and find the main idea
- Main Idea Scrambles – cut & paste worksheets for finding the main idea
- Reading Passages: four one paragraph passages with differentiated options for writing main idea and details (Option 1: cut and paste. Option 2: write it out.)
- Lesson ideas & organizers to go with The Important Book mentor text
- Seven Printables: different organizers to work on main idea and supporting details (4 various flip flap books)