Want to try an escape room without all the stress? Use this end of the year math mystery to review math skills, perfect for math enrichment! In this math challenge, students will practice addition, subtraction, place value, time, money, and word problems, all while engaged in solving a mystery!
>> Click HERE to save with the BUNDLE of 10 Math Mysteries! <<
This digital (Google Slides & Seesaw) and printable end of year math review is perfect for 1st grade & 2nd grade students!
In this mystery, students will read a letter from Ms. Martin, a teacher. They will learn that she is throwing an end of the year classroom party, but she hid the supplies from her students! She wants to send them on a hunt to find them! There are six possible locations around the school the supplies could be hidden. Students will complete challenges and earn clues to solve the mystery!
Whether you’re teaching in the classroom or teaching virtually, I’ve got you covered! For teachers in the classroom, everything can be easily printed and assigned to students. I’ve included black & white ink friendly options, too. For teachers teaching virtually, this resource has also been converted to Google Slides and Seesaw, so you can assign everything remotely!
I suggest using this resource over the course of one week. This will give your students with Monday through Thursday to complete all six challenges (one to two per day), and then on Friday students can sift through the clues & decode the secret message to solve the mystery. If you have time or want to plan an extra engaging day, you could also make an entire morning and/or afternoon of the whole thing and do it all at once! *Please note that doing it the entire mystery in one day will take more than you probably have allotted during your math time!
- Teacher Directions: How to implement, set-up, and use both in the classroom or digitally
- Letter from the Teacher: Students will read a letter from Ms. Martin explaining how she hid the end of the year party supplies.
- Challenge Checklist: Students will use this page to track their progress on all 6 math review challenges
- Locations: Students will receive a list of six possible locations around the school. As students earn clues, they will use them to solve the mystery.
- The Clues & Secret Message: After completing challenges, students will earn six clues to help them solve the mystery. The final clue requires them to decode a secret message to solve the mystery!
- 6 Math Review Challenges: There are 3 levels for each challenge so you can differentiate as needed. Take a look below at the differentiated levels:
- : adding 3 numbers (one-digit, two-digit, & three-digit versions)
- : subtracting multiples of ten, two-digit w/ regrouping, three-digit w/ regrouping versions)
- : two-digit, three-digit, & mixed up 3-digit versions
- : time to the hour & half hour, time to the quarter hour, & time to the 5 minutes versions
- : making amounts w/ no quarters, making amounts with quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies, and making change versions
- : problems within 20, problems within 100, and 2-step problems within 100.
- Letter to the Class: Students will use this page once they think they’ve solved the mystery
- YOU DID IT! Are your students ready to see if they were right? Display this page to find out!
- Challenge Answer Keys
Find more math mysteries below!
- Back to School Math Mystery: The Case of the Mystery Teacher
- Addition Math Mystery: The Case of the Hungry Zoo Animal
- Subtraction Math Mystery: The Case of the Missing S’mores
- Multiplication Math Mystery: The Case of the Dog Show Mix Up
- Place Value Math Mystery: The Case of the New Family Pet
- Addition Facts Math Mystery: The Case of the Food Truck Surprise
- Subtraction Facts Math Mystery: The Case of the Stolen Tennis Balls
- Time Math Mystery: The Case of the Confusing Vacation
- Counting Coins Math Mystery: The Case of Carl the Circus Clown
© Simply Creative Teaching
There are no reviews yet.