Want to try an escape room without all the stress? Use this 2 digit and 3 digit addition with regrouping math mystery or challenge, perfect for math enrichment! In this math activity, students will practice addition while engaged in solving a mystery!
This digital (Google Slides & Seesaw) & printable addition with regrouping challenge is a hit! This is the perfect set of addition activities and practice for 1st grade & 2nd grade students working on addition to 20, two-digit addition, and three-digit addition!!
In this mystery, students will read a letter from Detective Scout where he explains that we’re working hard to figure out which zoo animal broke into the concession stand and ate all the food last night. They will also receive the profile pages about all six zoo animal suspects. Students will complete challenges and earn clues to solve the mystery!
Whether you’re teaching in the classroom or teaching virtually, I’ve got you covered! For teachers in the classroom, everything can be easily printed and assigned to students. I’ve included black & white ink friendly options, too. For teachers teaching virtually, this resource has also been converted to Google Slides and Seesaw, so you can assign everything remotely!
I suggest using this resource over the course of one week. This will give your students with Monday through Thursday to complete all four challenges (one per day), and then on Friday students can sift through the clues & suspect information to solve the mystery. If you have time or want to plan an extra engaging day, you could also make an entire morning and/or afternoon of the whole thing and do it all at once! *Please note that doing it the entire mystery in one day will take more than you probably have allotted during your math time!
- Teacher Directions: How to implement, set-up, and use both in the classroom or digitally
- Letter From Detective Scout: Students will read a letter from Detective Scout explaining what happened at the zoo and the mystery he needs help solving.
- Challenge Checklist: Students will use this page to track their progress on all 4 addition challenges
- The Suspects: Students will receive profile pages of all six zoo animal suspects. As students earn clues, they will use the information about each animal suspect to help them solve the mystery.
- The Clues: After completing thechallenges, students will earn four clues to help them solve the mystery.
- 4 Addition Math Challenges: There are 3 levels (addition to 20, 2-digit, & 3-digit) for each challenge so you can differentiate as needed.
- Letter to Scout: Students will use this page once they think they’ve solved the mystery
- GUILTY! It was…: Are your students ready to see if they were right? Display this guilty page to find out who ate all the food!
- Challenge Answer Keys
Find more math mysteries below!
- Back to School Math Mystery: The Case of the Mystery Teacher
- Subtraction Math Mystery: The Case of the Missing S’mores
- Multiplication Math Mystery: The Case of the Dog Show Mix Up
- End of Year Math Mystery: The Case of the End of the Year Party
- Place Value Math Mystery: The Case of the New Family Pet
- Addition Facts Math Mystery: The Case of the Food Truck Surprise
- Subtraction Facts Math Mystery: The Case of the Stolen Tennis Balls
- Time Math Mystery: The Case of the Confusing Vacation
- Counting Coins Math Mystery: The Case of Carl the Circus Clown
© Simply Creative Teaching