Want to try an escape room without all the stress? Use this addition math mystery for addition fact fluency, perfect for math enrichment! In this math challenge, students will practice doubles facts, make ten, turnaround facts, and more while engaged in solving a mystery!
>> Click HERE to save with the BUNDLE of 10 Math Mysteries! <<
This digital (Google Slides & Seesaw) & printable addition challenge is a hit! This is the perfect set of addition fact fluency activities and practice for 1st grade & 2nd grade students!
In this mystery, students will learn that Mrs. Green’s class won a school-wide reading contest. As their prize, Chef Sheldon is bringing a food truck to school! There are four possible food trucks he could bring. Students will complete four addition fact challenges and earn clues to solve the mystery!
Whether you’re teaching in the classroom or teaching virtually, I’ve got you covered! For teachers in the classroom, everything can be easily printed and assigned to students. I’ve included black & white ink-friendly options, too. For teachers teaching virtually, this resource has also been converted to Google Slides and Seesaw, so you can assign everything remotely!
I suggest using this resource over the course of one week. This will give your students Monday through Thursday to complete all challenges (one to two per day), and then on Friday students can sift through the clues to solve the mystery. If you have time or want to plan an extra engaging day, you could also make an entire morning and/or afternoon of the whole thing and do it all at once! *Please note that doing the entire mystery in one day will take more than you probably have allotted during your math time!
- Teacher Directions: How to implement, set-up, and use both in the classroom or digitally
- Letter from Chef Sheldon: Students will read a letter from Chef Sheldon where they will learn that he’s bringing a food truck to Mrs. Green’s class. Which one will he bring?!
- Challenge Checklist: Students will use this page to track their progress on all 4 addition fact math challenges
- The Food Trucks: Students will receive a list of four possible food trucks and information about each one. As students earn clues, they will use them solve the mystery.
- The Clues: After completing challenges, students will earn four clues to help them solve the mystery.
- 4 Addition Fact Math Challenges: There are 3 levels for each challenge so you can differentiate as needed. Take a look below at the differentiated levels:
- Making 5, Doubles to 12, Addition Sort to 10, & Turnaround Facts within 5
- Making 10, Doubles to 20, Addition Sort to 15, & Turnaround Facts within 10
- Making 20, Doubles +1 Facts, Addition Sort to 20, & Turnaround Facts within 20
- Letter to the Class: Students will use this page once they think they’ve solved the mystery
- Surprise! Are your students ready to see if they were right? Display this page to find out!
- Challenge Answer Keys
Find more math mysteries below!
- Back to School Math Mystery: The Case of the Mystery Teacher
- Addition Math Mystery: The Case of the Hungry Zoo Animal
- Subtraction Math Mystery: The Case of the Missing S’mores
- Multiplication Math Mystery: The Case of the Dog Show Mix Up
- End of Year Math Mystery: The Case of the End of the Year Party
- Place Value Math Mystery: The Case of the New Family Pet
- Subtraction Facts Math Mystery: The Case of the Stolen Tennis Balls
- Time Math Mystery: The Case of the Confusing Vacation
- Counting Coins Math Mystery: The Case of Carl the Circus Clown
© Simply Creative Teaching
There are no reviews yet.