Every year I absolutely love doing all the fall classroom activities. When I can integrate thematic reading and writing activities, it’s a win-win! Just like when I shared about apple ideas during September, these fall classroom activities and ideas are perfect for October and November!
5 Fall Classroom Activities
1. Write a Spooky Story: Creating a spooky story is ALWAYS a hit! In this creative writing book, students get to write their own spooky story. After reading aloud some of our favorite Halloween, spooky-themed picture books, I tell students that they get to create their very own spooky story!
There are so many great picture books you can use to get your students excited about writing their own spooky stories. With each Halloween story you read aloud, focus on the story elements: character, setting, problem, and solution. This will help students when they get started writing their own spooky stories!
2. Veterans Day Writing: One school I worked at held a Veterans Day assembly every year, and I wanted my students to come to it having some prior knowledge about Veterans Day. We made this Veterans Day book to help! That’s why we always spent a few days reading picture books about veterans. We learned who they are and some basic facts about Veterans Day.
We recorded all of our learning in this Veterans Day book shown below! The Wall by Eve Bunting is one of my favorite picture books to use for Veterans Day.
3. Pumpkin Activity Book: This pumpkin learning book is perfect to for students to record pumpkin observations, pumpkin life cycle, pumpkin story sequencing, and more! This is a great supplemental activity to use when you’re exploring pumpkins with your students!
4. Editable Pumpkin Sight Word Games: These editable sight word games allow you to type any words you want, and they will autofill into these pumpkin-themed games! Type the sight words you’re working on and instantly have 6 games that your students can play.
5. Halloween Sentence Writing: These sentence activities are so fun to use during the Halloween season! Students will build scary sentences and learn how to improve their sentences by adding descriptive details. They will also review subjects and predicates in an engaging and creative way. These sentence-building activities are simple to prep and highly effective as you focus on the components of a complete sentence!